Saturday, May 10, 2008

Politics, the Bible and Barbecue


This pretty much sums up my interests, although not necessarily in that order...

It has been a very interesting political season, to say the least, and my family and I have recently moved to a different church that has an excellent pastoral staff that teaches the Word of God very well, so we have really been getting into the Bible deeply.

But I would like to use today's post to talk about my other passion, one that tends to get sparked at such a time as this: the weather is getting warmer, the sky is clear and the sun is out. On top of that it is just too hot to turn on the oven at dinner time. So, when you get hungry, the only logical thing to do is to fire up the grill or smoker!

My foray into grilling goes way back. Grilling gives me the opportunity to pursue many loves; cooking, playing with fire, and of course there is the eating! More recently, I discovered smoking and it got into my blood right away. Obviously there is the playing with fire and eating which make it similar to grilling, but what really makes it great is the science involved. Smoking food involves imparting several layers of flavor to meat using a variety of methods lending itself too lots of experimentation and creativity.

There are many takes on what makes good barbecue, but the best thing about it is, it is fun to prepare and almost always tastes good.

So, no matter where you fall in the spectrum of outside cooking, stop by often and find my take on grilling and barbecue. I plan to use this blog as a barbecue journal of sorts; keeping track of methods and the quality of food they produce. I may even help you avoid a no-no or two by getting there before you. We can share recipes, or a good story about how you burned off your eyebrows using too much lighter fluid.

No comments: